The Sadhora Synagogue, the main Jewish house of prayer, served as a public place of worship and the center of the religious life of the Jewish community in the city of Sadhora. Today it is part of the city of Chernivtsi (Yaroslava Mudroho Street, 192).
In 1842, Israel Friedman, a Hasidic rebbe known as Ruzhyn Tzadik, arrived in Sadhora. Since then, it has become a pilgrimage site for Hasidim. Sadhora Synagogue on Google Maps. Photo by: Maxim Ritus.
Sadhora Synagogue was built in romantic red brick with Moorish motifs in 1852. It looks more like a palace than a synagogue. In 1880, 3,888 Jews (80.4%) lived in Sadhora, in 1914 – 5,060.
In the 1990s, the synagogue was included in the list of tourist sites in Chernivtsi. In 2017 the synagogue was restored. Today, the synagogue and the tomb of the tzadik remain a place of pilgrimage.
Tag: city of Chernivtsi
Church of St. Michael the Archangel in Nehrovets
No comments yet.