New South Wales recorded 105 new cases of Covid and the death of a 90-year-old woman as residents in the Sydney metropolitan area comply with tighter lockdown restrictions designed to curb the infection rate.
Another day of triple-digit cases followed the death of a 90-year-old woman from southeastern Sydney on Saturday, the fourth death attributed to the current outbreak.
Of the new cases, Prime Minister Gladys Berejiklian said 27 had been contagious while in the community.
“This is the number that worries us the most, we’ve seen that number pop up day after day,” he said on Sunday.
A total of 66 of Sunday’s cases were linked to known clusters while 39 remained under investigation.
The state was yet to see a significant drop in the number of cases despite some form of lockdown conditions in the capital for three weeks.
Berejiklian said he expected a delay of five to six days before the number of cases began to decline due to the latest restrictions.
“We are throwing everything on this, we want to get out of this block as soon as possible,” he said.
Most of the cases on Sunday are concentrated in southwest Sydney, with 69 found in the Fairfield local government area.
However, the head of health, Kerry Chant, said residents need to be vigilant no matter where they are in the Sydney metropolitan area.
“Whenever you leave the house, it is essential to assume that you are in contact with Covid,” he said on Sunday.
Residents are prohibited from leaving three municipal areas unless they are “licensed workers,” while all but critical retailers throughout Sydney are closed.
Stay-at-home orders have been tightened in Fairfield, Canterbury-Bankstown and Liverpool, with locals unauthorized to leave until 30 July.
Initially there were only exceptions for health or emergency services workers, however the list has been expanded considerably to include retail workers in stores as well as teachers, producers and drivers of goods, among others. All licensed workers who leave these three local government areas are required to complete a Covid test every three days.
Asked about the change in guidelines in the wake of the big announcement, Berejiklian thanked the residents for their patience and said “comprehensive” information is now available.
“I’m not embarrassed to say that in public life yesterday was probably the hardest day I have personally had,” she said.
The Southwest lockdown has provoked a harsh response from some within the medical community. The Doctors Reform Society said that sufficient Pfizer vaccine should be provided within the next two weeks to administer to all 600,000 adults living in the three municipalities.
Tighter restrictions now apply across the entire Sydney region, including the closure of large and small construction sites.
Supermarkets, pharmacies, banks and a few other retailers can open and must operate with the “click and collect” or take away.
All employees and others working from home should not be pressured to go to work, with employers facing a $ 10,000 fine if they push staff to participate.
With data modeling based on more than 400 exposure sites indicating everyone in Sydney is at risk, the premier said the hard line was needed.
On Saturday he defended the measures taken so far to curb the epidemic, saying they had prevented “thousands and thousands” of cases and that the further restrictions were a “no regrets policy”.
The stricter measures were required by the persistent number of infected people in the community before they were diagnosed.
Residents were reassured Saturday that government agencies would be mobilizing between now and July 30 to provide them with supplies and services as needed.
[ https://thedailycanvas.com/nsw-covid-update-105-new-cases-reported-and-one-death-as-berejiklian-relaxes-south-west-sydney-rules/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nsw-covid-update-105-new-cases-reported-and-one-death-as-berejiklian-relaxes-south-west-sydney-rules https://d26toa8f6ahusa.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/30214746/a-quiet-place-part-2-bigs-16.pdf