June 22, 2021

Ukraine Breaking News

Ukraine Breaking News | The Latest News In Ukraine

New main visa rules for moving abroad after Brexit

Portugal was previously cited by experts as a better alternative to Spain for those looking to move abroad after Brexit due to its simpler visa requirements. However, there are still many rules that expats will have to abide by in order to gain long-term entry to the country.

“Visits to Schengen countries in the 180 days prior to the trip count for 90 days.

“To stay longer, to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons, you will need to meet the entry requirements of the Portuguese government.”

According to the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF), expatriates can attempt to obtain residency through a work visa, a study visa or an application for a residence permit.

To obtain residency without a job offer, Brits will need to prove an annual income or “proof of sufficient means of subsistence”.

However, this amount is significantly less than the sum requested by Spain, which according to ExpatNetwork makes Portugal a favorable alternative.

An ExpatNetwork spokesperson explained: “Portugal has a similar visa to Spain’s NLV, the Passive Income Visa, which has a significantly lower annual income requirement: € 11,970 (around £ 10,379) for a couple and € 16,658 (around £ 14,444) for a family of four).

“Furthermore, the visa does not prevent you from working or starting a business like the Spanish NLV does.”

There are also a number of documents to be submitted and subsequent checks will be carried out by the authorities.

For those traveling to Portugal who already have residency, they must be able to prove this at border controls.

“There are separate requirements for those residing in Portugal,” says the FCDO.

“If you reside in Portugal, you must bring proof of residence and a valid passport with you when you travel.”

For those who already lived in Portugal before Brexit took effect on January 1st, the EU residence document must be exchanged for a new “biometric card”.

The FCDO explains: “Your EU residence document will continue to be accepted until the new one arrives or until its validity ends”.

Those who have not yet registered for residency, but have been living in Portugal for a few years, must do so as soon as possible.

“If you lived in Portugal before January 1, 2021 and haven’t registered yet, please send an email [email protected], to request registration ”, continues the FCDO.

“You must include a scanned copy or photo of your passport, proof of address and proof that you lived in Portugal before January 2021”.

This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Travel Feed