WHO chief says “accidents happen” in laboratories; cases in Thailand close to 10,000; first local Delta cases detected in the Philippines
- WHO chief says push to discount laboratory leak theory was “premature”
- Huge study in support of ivermectin as a suspended treatment for ethical issues
- Summer chaos predicted when 1.6 million in England said they would isolate themselves in a week
- Volunteers intervene as Covid engulfs Indonesia
- Australia: Delta variant cases increase among fully vaccinated people
Professor Adam Finn, of the University of Bristol and a member of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunization (JCVI) has been on Sky News, and the AP is bringing these quotes from him. He said he thought people aged 50 and over would be offered a free flu shot this year, along with older children.
He told Sky News that the flu is a “more serious disease” than Covid in some respects, especially for children, adding, “The truth is we see flu epidemics every winter, with one exception and that was last. winter.
Mohamed Adow and Tasneem Essop write to us this morning:
Just a few weeks ago, before the prime minister hosted the G7, Boris Johnson promised that the group of rich nations would vaccinate the world by the end of the year.
Related: On vaccine equality, the UK failed to show the leadership the world needs | Mohamed Adow and Tasneem Essop
[ https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/jul/16/coronavirus-live-news-who-chief-calls-on-china-to-be-transparent-open-and-cooperate-record-cases-in-thailand https://d26toa8f6ahusa.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/30214746/a-quiet-place-part-2-bigs-16.pdf