Prosecutors on the Greek island of Crete have launched an investigation into the deaths of 68 elderly residents in a nursing home after a relative expressed concern over official causes of death and potential abuse.
About 62 residents of the house in Chania city died in 2020, with another six deaths in 2021. The cause of all deaths was reportedly recorded as “Heart attack.”
On Thursday, an elderly woman’s body was exhumed and removed by order of prosecutors so that the cause of her death could be determined by medical experts.
The investigation comes after a woman took legal action against the house following the death of her father.
The preliminary investigation will look into potential crimes, including forming and joining a criminal organization, resulting in personal injury and manslaughter by deception.
Also on rt.com
Gunmen on motorcycles kill a Greek journalist in a morning shooting
According to local news site Cretalive, some of the allegations made against the house include claims that residents have been subjected to violence, suffered malnutrition, and that seat belts were used for their beds.
A nursing home lawyer, Ioannis Sfakiotakis, said in a Facebook post Friday that the facility has not broken the law and that the investigation was apparently going on. “Without” evidence relied on.
He also said a surprise dawn raid on the home last month involving prosecutors, police and science experts did not lead to any criminal charges or arrests.
“No criminal charges were filed, no police reports were issued, no abuse results were found yesterday in the exhumation of a former nursing home inmate,” Wrote Sfakiotakis.
Do you think your friends would be interested? Share this story!