This French toast it is crunchy at the edges with a tender center similar to custard. This is the perfect weekend breakfast and an easy way to feed a crowd.
Watch the video tutorial to discover the secret of French Toast perfectly cooked and never drenched.
We love the special breakfasts for weekends and holidays like Easter and Christmas. Some of our favorites are Crepes, Quiche Lorraine and of course French Toast because it tastes like dessert for breakfast.
French toast recipe video
Watch Natasha make French Toast. If you liked this video, subscribe to our Youtube channel (PS Click the BELL icon to be notified when we publish a new video).
The secret of the best French toast?
Try this method once and it will become your foundation for French Toast. Sauteing in warm buttered fries along the edges and transferring the toast to a hot oven is genius. It keeps the toast hot to serve all at once, plus it puts the custard in the center and you’ll even see them swell in the oven. You’ll never worry about soggy toast again.
Ingredients for French toast
This recipe feeds a crowd and will make 8-10 slices (depending on the size of the bread slices). It’s also easy to cut the entire recipe in half for a smaller batch.
- Eggs – use 6 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks for a richer custard base.
- Milk – any type will work (see replacement ideas below)
- Salt – balances the sweetness
- Vanilla extract – or use bourbon, rum, or brandy for variety
- Cinnamon – to make cinnamon French toast
- Honey – hot honey is easier to blend
- Butter – use unsalted
- Bread – 1 pound of thick sliced bread (options below)
Best French toast bread
You can use any thick sliced bread. Sweetbreads like Challah or Brioche are a favorite, but even a simple Texas toast works great.
- Brioche bread – a sweet bread for a French Toast brioche
- challah – makes a Challah French Toast
- Easter bread – our sweetbread with raisins
- Texas toast – convenient as it is pre-sliced
- White Country Loaf – slice into 3/4 ″ thick pieces
Professional bread tip: Use day-old, slightly dry bread. If time permits, place the slices of bread on a wire rack to air dry for 1-2 hours before use.
How French toast is made
This is a simple breakfast to make. Watch the video above and you’ll be a pro in no time.
- Slice of bread – in 3/4 “thick pieces and preheat the oven to 275 ° F.
- Egg mixture – In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, egg yolks, milk, salt, vanilla, cinnamon and honey until well blended. Transfer to a saucepan.
- Preheat the pan – Put a large cast iron skillet or heavy skillet over medium-low heat and melt in 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Dip toast – only 30-40 seconds per side.
- Sauteed French toast – transfer to the hot greased pan and brown 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Bake – Transfer the toasts to a baking tray and store them in an oven at 275 ° F while browning the remaining toasts. Once all the toasts are ready, bake another 10-15 minutes to set the custard.
Any type of milk (1%, 2% or whole), half and half or heavy cream will work great. You can also use dairy-free milks like coconut milk or almond milk.
To make French toast in the air fryer, spray the basket of the air fryer with a non-stick spray. Place the soaked toast in a single layer and air fry at 400 ° F for 8-9 minutes turning halfway.
Croissant French Toast is the ultimate delight. Cut in half, then dip and sauté like any other bread.
How to serve French toast
Sometimes it’s best to keep it simple and we often serve only with maple syrup and butter. If you really want to spice it up, try our Caramel and Bacon Pecan French Toast.
- To refrigerate: Allow baked toast to cool completely to room temperature, then refrigerate in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- Freezing: Arrange the cooked and cooled toasts on a baking sheet and freeze them for 2 hours, then transfer them to a freezer bag for easier storage. Defrost in the microwave for 45-60 seconds or thaw in the refrigerator overnight
- To reheat: hot on a skillet, or in the air fryer or toaster until hot.
This French toast recipe is the perfect breakfast. It’s easy, tasty, and perfectly cooked every time. It also heats up so well that you’ll be hoping for leftovers.
More ideas for breakfast and brunch
French Toast Recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Time to cook: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
This French toast is crunchy on the edges with a tender center similar to custard. Watch the simple video and learn how to make the best French Toast.
Cost of realization:
$ 6- $ 10
Calories: 260 kcal
Portions: 9 slices of French toast
bread like Challah, Brioche or Texas Toast
(about 8-10 slices 3/4 “thick)
to brown toast
Slice the bread approximately 3/4 “thick and roast on a wire rack for 1-2 hours if time permits to dry the bread slightly. Preheat the oven to 275 ° F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, milk, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and hot honey until well blended and the honey has melted. Pour into a baking dish that can hold 4 slices of toast at a time, or as many as fit in the pan at a time.
Preheat the skillet over medium-low heat and melt in 2 tablespoons of butter.
Dip 4 pieces of bread at a time into the egg mixture and soak for 30-40 seconds per side depending on the thickness of the bread. Remove the bread slices from the egg wash by letting the excess drip back into the dish, then place the bread slices in the hot pan and saute for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.
Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the oven to keep it warm at 275 ° F. Repeat step 4 with the remaining toast, adding more butter if necessary. Once they have all been sautéed, leave them in the oven for another 10-15 minutes for the center of the cream to completely solidify, then serve hot with your favorite toppings.
French Toast Recipe
Quantity per serving
Calories from Fat 108
% Daily value *
Saturated fat 5g31%
Trans fat 1g
Sugar 4 g4%
Vitamin A 484IU10%
C vitamin 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.