Truly the best Egg Salad Recipe you will try with minimal ingredients and so quick to make. Hard-boiled eggs with celery, dill, dressing and chives in a creamy dressing make up this classic egg salad.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Egg Salad Recipe
This is the simplest egg salad and the perfect way to use leftover Easter eggs. You’ll love the short list of ingredients, but that’s all you need to make an amazing salad: hard-boiled eggs, herbs, celery, and crunchy onion in the creamiest dressing.
This can be served in many different ways: as a side salad, on toast, etc. (See other ideas below). This traditional salad is simple, satisfying, and a perfect addition to your Easter menu.
Ingredients for egg salad
Even though this is a simple recipe and uses basic ingredients, it tastes amazing. If you want to dress it up and make it more elaborate, try these add-ons:
- Protein- such as crispy bacon, chicken or shrimp.
- Vegetables- tomatoes, cucumbers or carrots are great options. We also love the egg and dill pickle salad.
- Avocado- it can be cut into cubes and added to the salad or mixed with the dressing to replace some of the mayonnaise.
Professional tip: If you will be adding other ingredients to the salad, make a larger portion of the dressing.
How to make egg salad
Homemade egg salad couldn’t be easier than this. Just make sure the eggs have cooled completely before making the salad or make them and refrigerate them until ready to use.
- Boil the eggs and cool them then cut them into the desired pieces (we like it thick for a better texture)
- Finely chop the celery and red onion (sweet onion can be substituted for red onion)
- Chop the chives (or green onions) and fresh dill
- Make the homemade dressing – mix the ingredients in a bowl
- Mix the salad well to mix and cover with the dressing
How to cook eggs for egg salad?
It doesn’t matter if you boil the eggs on the stove or in the Instant Pot, just make sure they are firm, but not overcooked. Overcooked eggs end with a green ring around the yolk. Follow these tutorials for perfect boiled eggs every time:
The best egg salad dressing
The dressing of any salad can really make or break a recipe. This fantastic creamy dressing adds so much flavor to the simple salad. Eggs have never tasted so good!
- In a bowl, add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, paprika, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix until the sauce is creamy and the ingredients are well incorporated.
Are eggs good for you?
Eggs are an inexpensive, healthy, and high-quality protein. We love recipes where eggs are the main ingredient like these amazing deviled eggs with bacon and egg muffins.
Eggs are packed with nutrients, free from carbohydrates and sugars, and will keep you feeling good throughout the day. Egg yolks are rich in choline, which is important for brain and liver health. Eggs also contain lutein which benefits eye health.
How to serve the egg salad
Although the salad can be enjoyed as a side dish, it is quite versatile. Enjoy these other variations:
- Egg salad sandwich – Serve the egg salad as a sandwich between slices of bread, in a croissant, as a face-down bun, or even stuffed in foil or pita bread.
- Stuffed avocado – stuff the salad in a halved avocado and serve.
- Lettuce wrap – Add to cups of lettuce or romaine and enjoy as lettuce wraps.
- Breakfast Sandwich – Load the salad on toast for an easy breakfast sandwich.
How to store the egg salad?
Leftover egg salad should be stored covered in the refrigerator and can last 3-5 days. It should not be left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Professional tip: If you refrigerate the salad, be sure to taste it before serving. Refrigeration tends to make the flavors thinner as they blend together, so add some salt and seasoning to taste.
More recipe with hard boiled eggs
Can’t wait for you to try it easily Egg Salad Recipe. Once you try it, you will do it again and again!
Egg salad recipe with the best dressing
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Time to cook: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
The simplest recipe for egg salad. Hard-boiled eggs with chives, dill, celery and onion in the creamier dressing of Dijon mayonnaise.
Cost of realization:
$ 3- $ 6
Lunch, salad, side dish
Calories: 290 kcal
Portions: 4 people
For the salad:
Cook the eggs and let them cool. Once cooled, peel and chop the eggs (we like big bears) and put them in a salad bowl.
Add the finely chopped celery, red onion, dill and chives.
In a separate bowl, combine the ingredients for the dressing. Gently mix the dressing into the egg salad until coated and serve.
Egg salad recipe with the best dressing
Quantity per serving
Calories from Fat 216
% Daily value *
Saturated fat 5g31%
Sugar 2 g2%
Vitamin A 800IU16%
C vitamin 3.3 mg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
* Egg nutrition information from The Incredible Egg.