Baked Feta Pasta has become one of the major viral trends around the world and is called the “TikTok paste”. Watch the video tutorial and you will be amazed at how feta cheese turns into a creamy pasta sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love the simple pasta flans from baked ziti to chicken tetrazzini and, of course, the classic lasagna. If you are a fan of pasta recipes, this baked feta pasta is a must try!
Video tutorial on baked feta pasta:
If you liked this video for baked feta pasta, subscribe to our Youtube channel (PS Click on the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video). Thank you for signing up!
What is feta pasta?
Baked feta pasta is a brilliant way to make pasta sauce. In a saucepan, bake a block of feta together with tomatoes, garlic, extra virgin olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Once the tomatoes pop and the cheese begins to melt, you take it out of the oven and mash the cheese into a creamy sauce that blends with olive oil and juicy tomatoes.
This is our spin on this creamy baked feta pasta with tomatoes and asparagus because my daughter loves asparagus and my son passes out over those roasted tomatoes.
Origin of the Feta Pasta
The baked feta craze was started in 2019 by Tiiu Piret and Liemessa, two Finnish bloggers. Liemessa’s recipe was then adapted in the US by Grilled Cheese Social which went viral on TikTok and became a major trend.
Ingredients for baked feta pasta
- Tomatoes – Cherry tomatoes or grapes are great.
- Asparagus – we added it for more vegetables but you can omit it if you wish.
- Olive oil – an extra virgin olive oil has the best flavor.
- Salt and pepper – a little more because the cheese is naturally salty.
- Feta cheese – Bulk feta is the best and will give you the creamiest texture. Greek or French feta is slightly creamier, but American cow’s milk feta also works great.
- Pasta – short pasta is easier to mix (see our favorite varieties below).
- Parsley – use a generous 1/4 cup or substitute with fresh chopped basil.
- Garlic – Add half during cooking and the rest as soon as it comes out of the oven.
The best paste to use
We use short pasta for feta pasta because it is much easier to mix and combine with the cheese sauce. Use only 8-10 ounces or it will overwhelm the sauce. These are some of our favorite options:
- Row 1: Penne, Rigatoni, Fusilli
- Row 2: Twins, Trottole, Cavatapi
Tip for cooking pasta: The key to a great pasta casserole is to cook the pasta until al dente in salted water according to the instructions on the package. Use at least a tablespoon of salt in your boiling water.
How to make baked feta pasta
This recipe couldn’t be easier. Your vegetables and sauce cook together in the oven while your pasta boils on the stove, then you marry them together and have an amazing baked Feta Pasta.
- Prepare the vegetables – in a 9 × 13 saucepan, combine the tomatoes, asparagus, 1/3 cup of olive oil, half of the minced garlic, salt and pepper. Throw to combine and create a space in the center.
- Add the feta cheese – Place an 8-ounce block of feta cheese in the center and season with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a little black pepper. Bake at 400 ° F for 30 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to pop.
- Cook the pasta – About halfway through the cooking time, start cooking the pasta in a pot of salted water until al dente according to the instructions on the package. Reserve 1/2 cup of hot water for the pasta.
- Add the garlic and herbs – remove the finished casserole from the oven, add the finely chopped parsley and the remaining chopped garlic and use the back of a spoon to mash the cheese in the oil and the juice released from the tomatoes.
- Add the pasta – drain the pasta and add it to the hot cheese sauce and stir to mix.
Professional tip: To make the pasta creamier or tastier, add the hot water to the pasta until it reaches the desired consistency. If the water gets cold, heat it in the microwave until it gets hot.
You can substitute asparagus with chicken tenders. My sister made this with half a pound of chicken tenders, roasting them in the same pan with cheese and tomatoes.
I don’t recommend substituting tomatoes as their juice helps the sauce. We haven’t found anything that works as well as tomatoes.
Oil is important for forming the right cheeky consistency. I would not recommend reducing the amount of olive oil.
Yup! One of the things I love about feta pasta is that it heats up well. Unlike a heavy cream-based sauce that can separate, this one heats up creamy. Add a splash of pasta cooking water or filtered water to keep it moist when it heats up in the microwave.
This is one of the simplest ways to make a rich-tasting pasta. If you try baked feta pasta with your touch on it, I’d love to hear about it in the comments.
We like to serve baked feta pasta as a main dish paired with lean protein and these simple sides:
Creamy Baked Feta Pasta
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Time to cook: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Pasta Feta with Tomatoes and Asparagus is a creamy and easy pasta flan. Cook the pasta while the cheese and tomatoes cook for a quick dinner.
Cost of realization:
$ 12- $ 16
baked feta pasta, feta pasta, tiktok pasta
Calories: 411 kcal
Portions: 6 people
cherry tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
ends trimmed and cut into small pieces
extra virgin olive oil
plus 1 tablespoon to season on the cheese
Feta Cheese block
finely chopped, divided
or basil, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 ° F. Add the tomatoes and asparagus to a 9 × 13 saucepan. Add 1/3 cup of olive oil, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper and 1 / 4 teaspoon of salt. Throw to combine. Make a space in the center and place your 8-ounce block of feta in the pan. Season the surface with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and another sprinkle of black pepper. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes until the tomatoes start to pop.
About halfway through cooking, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook according to the instructions on the package, stirring a few times to prevent the pasta from sticking. Drain the pasta (reserving the cooking water if you decide to add it later).
After 30 minutes, the tomatoes should pop and start releasing their juice. Remove from the oven and immediately stir in the remaining chopped garlic and parsley and toss to combine. Use the back of a large spoon to press the cheese into the olive oil and stir until the cheese is well dispersed in the dish.
Incorporate the drained cooked pasta. Add water for reserved pasta if desired. Serve hot. Watch out for those tomatoes (juicy centers can be very hot if you eat them right away). Add hot water for reserved pasta as desired for saucier pasta.
Creamy Baked Feta Pasta
Quantity per serving
Calories from Fat 189
% Daily value *
Saturated fat 7g44%
Sugar 6 g7%
Vitamin A 1143IU23%
C vitamin 29mg35%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.