October 26, 2021

Ukraine Breaking News

Ukraine Breaking News | The Latest News In Ukraine

Court summons January 6: rally organizers begin handing over documents – Roce Today

WASHINGTON (AP) – At least three of the officials involved in organizing and running the January 6 rally that preceded the violent assault on the United States Capitol are handing over documents in response to subpoenas from the House committee investigating the attack.

The 11 organizers and staff members had a deadline Wednesday to deliver documents and records as part of the committee’s investigation into the deadly insurrection that marked the most serious violation of the Capitol since the war of 1812. The organizers were also invited to appear at separate depositions the committee has scheduled to start later this month.

Other subpoenas have also been served on top White House officials and Trump advisors, including former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and Councilor Steve Bannon, who has so far refused to cooperate, putting him at risk. of being accused of contempt.

Among those who responded to Wednesday’s deadline is Lyndon Brentnall, whose company was hired to ensure the safety of events that day. “All documents and communications required by the subpoena have been delivered,” he told The Associated Press.

Two longtime Trump White House and campaign staff members, Megan Powers and Hannah Salem, who were listed on the Jan. 6 rally permit as “Operations Manager for Planning and Leadership” and “Operations Manager for logistics and communications “, they have also provided documents or are planning to do so.

Powers, who also served as director of operations for Trump’s re-election campaign, intends to provide the committee with the required documentation and meet with them, although it is unclear what form such meetings will take, according to a person familiar with his response who has spoken on condition of anonymity.

Brentnall had previously stated that his company had “every intention” of complying with the select committee. “As far as we are concerned, we have handled security in a legally permitted event organized in collaboration with US intelligence and park police,” he said.

The committee said the subpoenas are part of its effort to gather information “about the planning, organization and financing” of the January 6 rally, as well as other events planned to support Trump’s baseless claims of election fraud in the weeks between the his November election defeat and January attack.

A spokesperson for the commission declined to comment on Wednesday on the responses it received and how many of the 11 complied.

It is unclear whether the others sued intend to cooperate.

They include Amy Kremer, founder and president of Women for America First, a pro-Trump group that was the main organizer of the event; Cynthia Chafian, an organizer who presented the first permit for the rally; and Caroline Wren, a veteran GOP fundraiser who was listed on the permit papers for the January 6 gathering as a “VIP Advisor.”

Also on the list is Maggie Mulvaney, a niece of former Trump chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, who served as director of financial operations for the Trump campaign and is now a congressional staff member; former Trump campaign official Katrina Pierson, who the committee said was “reportedly involved in organizing” the January 6 rally and a smaller one the day before; and Justin Caporale and Tim Unes of Event Strategies Inc., who were listed on January 6 for documentation as the rally’s project manager and stage manager, according to the committee.

No one responded to multiple requests for comment.

Two other organizers, Ali Alexander and Nathan Martin, as well as their organization “Stop the Steal”, have also been sued for the documents, which are expected to be delivered on 21 October.

Alexander wrote in a Telegram post on Monday that the committee was “suing people in bad faith.”

“So maybe this select committee is bogus?” He added. “Everyone is waiting to see what I will do.”

The committee said two senior Trump officials – Meadows and former Defense Department official Kashyap Patel – are “engaging” with the committee, although it is unclear exactly what that entails. It’s also unclear whether Dan Scavino, Trump’s longtime social media director and one of his most loyal aides, will cooperate.

Committee members have said they are ready to fight for testimony and will use the courts to do so if necessary.

Many of the rioters who stormed the Capitol on January 6, trying to stop President Joe Biden’s certification of victory, marched on the National Mall after attending at least part of Trump’s rally, where he repeated his claims. unfounded of electoral fraud and begged the crowd to “fight like hell”.

The election results were confirmed by state officials and confirmed by the courts. Trump’s Attorney General William Barr said there was no evidence of widespread election fraud that would change the outcome.

At least nine people died during and after the attack, including a Trump supporter who was killed by police while trying to enter the House chamber.


[ https://rocetoday.com/jan-6-subpoena-rally-organizers-begin-turning-over-documents/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=jan-6-subpoena-rally-organizers-begin-turning-over-documents https://d26toa8f6ahusa.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/30214746/a-quiet-place-part-2-bigs-16.pdf
https://d26toa8f6ahusa.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/30214803/a-quiet-place-part-2-online-bigs-4.pdf
]