September 18, 2021

Ukraine Breaking News

Ukraine Breaking News | The Latest News In Ukraine

Army Colonel Says Guinean Government Disbanded In Apparent Coup attempt – SPOTLITIER NEWS

A Guinean army colonel took control of state television and said President Alpha Conde’s government was dissolved and the West African nation’s borders closed, an announcement that came after hours of heavy shots fired near the presidential palace.

The dramatic developments on Sunday bore all the hallmarks of a coup in West Africa.

After conquering the airwaves, the mutinous soldiers swore to restore democracy and gave themselves a name: the National Collection and Development Committee.

FILE – It was not immediately clear where the Guinean President Alpha Conde was, after the attack. (AP)

Colonel Mamadi Doumbouya sat wrapped in a Guinean flag with half a dozen other uniformed soldiers at his side as he read the statement, vowing: “A soldier’s duty is to save the country.”

He made no mention of Mr. Conde’s whereabouts and it was not immediately known where the 83-year-old leader was after Sunday’s attack.

Conde’s popularity has plummeted since he sought a third term last year, saying the term limits didn’t apply to him.

“The personalization of political life is over. We will no longer entrust politics to a man, we will entrust it to the people, “Colonel Doumbouya said, adding that the constitution would also be dissolved and the borders closed for a week.

Colonel Doumbouya, who led a special forces unit in the army, said he was acting in the best interests of the nation of more than 12.7 million people.

Not enough economic progress has been made since independence from France in 1958, the colonel said.

“If you see the state of our roads, if you see the state of our hospitals, you realize that after 72 years it’s time to wake up,” he said.

“We have to wake up.”

Last Sunday, near the presidential palace in the capital Conakry, heavy gunshots broke out that went on for hours, raising fears of a coup attempt.

The Defense Ministry said the attack had been repulsed, but uncertainty grew when there was no sign of Mr. Conde on state television or radio.

His re-election in October led to violent street demonstrations in which the opposition said dozens of people were killed. Developments on Sunday underscored how he had also become vulnerable to elements of dissent within his army.

Conde came to power in 2010 with the country’s first democratic elections since independence from France.

Many saw his presidency as a fresh start for the country, bogged down by decades of corrupt and authoritarian rule.

Opponents, however, say it has failed to improve the lives of Guineans, most of whom live in poverty despite the country’s vast mineral riches, including bauxite and gold.

In 2011, he narrowly survived an assassination attempt after gunmen surrounded his home at night and hit his bedroom with rockets.

Rocket-propelled grenades also landed inside the compound and one of his bodyguards was killed.

[ https://bbcbreakingnews.com/2021/09/05/army-colonel-says-guinean-government-dissolved-in-apparent-coup-attempt/ https://d26toa8f6ahusa.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/30214746/a-quiet-place-part-2-bigs-16.pdf
https://d26toa8f6ahusa.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/30214803/a-quiet-place-part-2-online-bigs-4.pdf
]